Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
According to the American Heart Association (http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/), "Approximately 900 Americans die every day due to sudden cardiac arrest". During sudden cardiac arrest, the victim is unresponsive and stops breathing. Administering CPR can continue blood flow, prevent brain damage, and double the victims’ chance of survival! If someone is not responsive, has no pulse and is not breathing, CPR should be performed.
- Evaluate the surrounding area and ensure the scene is safe.
- If safe, check for responsiveness and aggressively attempt to wake up the individual.
- If unresponsive, immediately call or direct someone to call 911 and call or have someone call the LIM College Emergency Line (212) 310-0660 or 711 from an LIM College phone.
- Direct someone to locate an AED. (See AED locations below)
- Lay the person on their back, open the individual’s airway and tilt the head back slightly.
- Check for breathing. If the individual is not breathing, begin CPR.
- Place your hands one on top of each other, and place them in the middle of the individual's chest, pushing down two inches.
- After delivering 30 compressions prepare to deliver two mouth-to-mouth breaths.
- Compressions should be performed at a rate of 100 – 120 per minute. Remember the beat of the song "Staying Alive" by the Bee Gees to keep you on track.
- To deliver breaths, tilt the individual's head back, pinch the nose shut and place your mouth over the individual’s mouth.
- Blow air into the individual's mouth until the chest rises. Give two breaths back-to-back and preform 30 compressions before giving another breath.
- Continue CPR, giving two breaths to every 30 compressions.
- Do not stop CPR until an AED is available or until first responders arrive on scene.
- If the AED arrives, follow the instructions provided by the AED.
- Once first responders are on scene, a LIM College faculty/staff member should ride to the hospital with the injured LIM College community member. No LIM College community member should ride alone in an ambulance!
AED Locations on Campus
- 5th Avenue
- 7th Floor: Outside the College Marketing Office on the Left Side of the Door
- 7th Floor: On the Wall Across from the IT Help Desk
- Maxwell Hall
- Main Floor: Behind the Security Desk on the Left Wall
- 3rd Floor: On the Left Side of the Wall in the Hallway Across from the Conference Room
- 8th Floor: In the Graduate Reception Area On the Left Wall as You Enter the Area
- 14th Floor: On the Kitchen Wall by the Copy Machine
- The Townhouse
- Main Floor: Outside of the Student Lounge, Across from the Elevator
- 3rd Floor: To the Right of the Elevator, Outside the Student Financial Services Office
- 5th Floor: Outside of Classroom 5352